Prowlers on the Parkway: SF’s Take on the Colonial Parkway Murders

To view this article, checkout Best of the Spingola Files, Vol. II: Here’s Looking at You coming to Amazon.com in December 2012.

—————————————————————–

Steven Spingola is a former Milwaukee Police Department homicide detective and the author of The Killer in Our Midst: the Case of Milwaukee’s North Side Strangler.

© Steven Spingola, Wales, WI, 2010

9 Responses

1. Wade

Have you thought about profiling the murdered of Morgan Harrington in Virginia?

June 11, 2010 at 1:36 pm

2. Steve Spingola

Wade, I wrote this piece in February, after David Bass discovered Morgan’s body on Anchorage Farms.

June 11, 2010 at 9:37 pm

3. Mr. Spingola,I think you are wrong.I think that some of these cases are related if not all.I am not an investigator by any stretch of the imagination.But I think two people were responsible for all of these cases.

June 11, 2010 at 9:45 pm

4. Steve Spingola

Scott, you’re entitled to your opinion. That being said, feel free to elaborate and explain why you believe two people are involved and why these crimes are related.

June 12, 2010 at 2:35 am

5. Larry H

Outstanding analysis! It takes guts to lay your cards on the table while the game is still being played. Don’t see too many others (like the VSP or the FBI) doing that.

June 12, 2010 at 4:24 am

6. John J

Mr Spingola I agree with you that not all are related… I have some information for you though, please email me and I will elaborate in private with you on this matter … There is a murder that hasnt been mentioned and is tied to this and I believe I know who this killer is. Look up Laurie Ann Powell in va . also i can connect several of these murders through one guy that nobody has mentioned!! he fits the profile of what you describe..and left this area in 1989..

June 15, 2010 at 11:09 pm

7. David

Mr. Spingola, please make the correction that it is Isle of Wight County, not “Wright.” Thanks for the little detail that I didn’t know about, that the Sheriff’s Office lost a set a fingerprints. I worked for IWSO and didn’t even know that.
    Of course, in 1987, things were under Sheriff Dixon at the time, and the Sheriff’s Office didn’t even have a midnight shift then (got one with the new sheriff in 1988), so the department was not modernized yet. Makes sense that something would get lost. (No doubt New Kent was the same way back then, rural counties are not rich and Sheriffs only get what funding is provided from the Commonwealth).
    Sheriff Phelps agreed with you, that the Ragged Island killings were separate from the Parkway, and the killings were just bad timing. That may be true, though it IS possible that a killer could change his MO. I should note however, that Ragged Island was known for being a place where alternative lifestyles persons would meet secretly for a rendezvous. Perhaps Knobling and Edwards discovered the killer there and were killed so they couldn’t identify him?

April 12, 2012 at 4:59 am

8. Regina

I wish someone would find this killer. I knew David Knobles. He used to come into the 7-Eleven I worked at and hang around and talk. I actually went out with him once.

June 9, 2013 at 12:11 am

9. Cecile

Wow! It’s strange that in 2010 the Morgan Harrington case was mentioned and now it is so relevant!

October 19, 2014 at 4:44 am