The Mitchell Nevin Enigma

To view this article, please checkout Best of the Spingola Files, Vol. I & II, available now at Amazon.com

———————————————————-

Steve Spingola is a retired Milwaukee Police Department homicide detective.

If your organization is in need of an outstanding guest speaker, please consider the Spingola Files’ Psychology of Homicide presentation.  For more information, visit   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TF2kAvSSyU&feature=related

© Steve Spingola, Wales, WI, 2011

48 Responses

1. Glenn Frankovis

For the record, I didn’t write it nor did I have any part in its creation. I’m not the kind of person who would review a book that I wrote, although like some of the higher ranking characters in the book there are some people I knew who would do just that kind of thing. Like you I am at a loss as to the real identity of Mitchell Nevin but I’d bet he knew some of the same people that I knew.

July 2, 2011 at 2:19 pm

2. Steve Spingola

Though the book is well written and has a sold plot, I am certain that if it was your work, Glenn, it would likely contain your name. I have received several compliments regarding your review of the book from others who have taken the time to read The Cozen Protocol. They were appreciative of the insight you provided. The speculation pertaining to the identity of the actual author is fueling the rumor mill. My guess is it is an invidivual who has a good body of knowledge of both gangs and homicide investigations.

July 2, 2011 at 6:19 pm

3. Larry

“mitchell” Nevin, Pat Mitchell…just thinking out loud.

July 2, 2011 at 11:21 pm

4. BlueStu

What about Hagen? He brags about his gang squad days when he dressed like a Don Johnson want to be. I think he was up at homicide at one time.

July 3, 2011 at 2:29 pm

5. Rudy B.

Two Names: Mike Durfee or Dennis Marlock. Why pseudonymous? Each may have reason, one more than the other.

July 3, 2011 at 9:21 pm

6. Jason

I’ve read Marlock’s book on the gypsies. It’s a dry academic read. The Cozen Protocol about life on the streets and the politics of the 7th floor. I don’t think it is Marlock’s cup of tea. Durfee might be a possibility. The dope dealing with the Dominicans make me think of Joe Link or “Scary” Jerry Stanaszak.

July 3, 2011 at 10:10 pm

7. Rudy B.

Durfee/Marlock were Rudy

July 3, 2011 at 10:24 pm

8. John V.

I’m not a Milw. police force member. I’m a student at UWM. A few years ago there was a guy who was a Milwaukee lieutenant that got a job with the university bust student house parties. I think his name was Omar Perez or something close. He used to tell students how he busted hispanic gangs. Is he a possible author?

July 3, 2011 at 10:51 pm

9. Glenn Frankovis

My guess is a Detective or some other lawman who was around in the 70s and was close enough to observe the egomaniacs in the Command Staff over the years and who also had some experience with IAD – probably in the mid to late 90s – but wasn’t part of that dysfunctional upper echelon Command structure. This story is written more from the perspective of a real lawman. Somebody who was dedicated to the team and mission and not some self-aggrandizing fool.

July 3, 2011 at 10:57 pm

10. Glenn Frankovis

For point of clarification, John V. and I were apparently writing our comments at the same time, so my comment should not be construed as a response to his comment. My comment was just made in general based upon my knowledge and experience as a member of the Command Staff from 2001 until my retirement in early 2004 and earlier observations during my career with MPD.

July 3, 2011 at 11:19 pm

11. Curious George

A hunch says Dave Baker. He was attached at the hip to Matt Gibson.

July 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm

12. Frank

I bet money the writer of the book is Dave Orlowski. I remember him talking about the owner of Von Trier’s. He was at homicide for a time to.

July 4, 2011 at 8:40 pm

13. Hayden

Orlowski? First marathons now writing a book? Don’t let Dan Bice find out.

July 4, 2011 at 9:37 pm

14. Steve Spingola

I just received a note from Dave Orlowski. He said that he is NOT the author of The Cozen Protocol.

July 5, 2011 at 1:59 am

15. Morris

A few of us kick it around over the weekend. We suspect Tom Fischer. He was the VP of the MPA and worked in the bureau and never cared for any of the police chiefs. Put three votes in for Fischer.

July 6, 2011 at 5:58 pm

16. Eastsider Earle

Bret Huston got the shaft in the gun in the dumpter case that is spun off in the book. He has an axe to grind and knows gangs.

July 6, 2011 at 9:04 pm

17. Raul

How about former MPD Officer Mike Lutz? The last I heard he is going to law school in Madison. He knows hispanic gangs like the back of his hand. He was also harrassed by King Arthur’s IAD goons.

July 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm

18. Brett Huston

I did not write The Cozen Protocol.

I do have an axe to grind, though, and it’s with anyone who tries to keep any Detective from spreading buttery justice over every nook and cranny of The City.

Seriously, though, someone brought this excellent website to my attention since I was mentioned as a suspect in the authoring. I took a few minutes to do Detective work, and I’ve come to the conclusion that LARRY POWALISZ wrote The Cozen Protocol.

Sorry if I outed you, Larry, but 1) you’re old enough to have seen this stuff, 2) you were a cop at D5 when the Von Trier arrow homicide happened, I think, 3) you were in the old Gang Squad, 4) and you’ve authored a book before with a certain publishing company.

Larry, can I get an autographed “Mitchell Nevin” on the photo you took on your last day in the Bureau?

July 11, 2011 at 10:01 pm

19. Brett Huston

I don’t know, put me in for David Kane, too.

July 11, 2011 at 10:17 pm

20. Brett Huston

Ok, perhaps I’m right.

I made a post a short time ago denying that I wrote The Cozen Protocol. I also gave the name of the person I believed to be “Mitchell Nevin”. The name had not been mentioned yet. I guess I was right, because the post was removed shortly after I made it.

I still want an photo autographed “MItchell Nevin” from his/her last day at the bureau in exchange for my silence!

July 11, 2011 at 10:56 pm

21. Steve Spingola

Brett, at least one person will eat crow by betting you were the author. Last week, a retired member of the command staff mentioned Larry’s name as a possible author. Knowing Larry, I checked the rumor out. The author is not Larry. Based on a link analysis, lots of hunches and e-mail exchanges with others, I think we’re getting close. Speculation is the author was a “Milwaukee law enforcement veteran” but not a member of the department. In other words, someone we worked with but was not a member of the same organization. The key to the puzzle may be the locale of Bloomington, Minnesota. I won’t say more until we know more.

July 12, 2011 at 12:49 am

22. Eric Donaldson

If it isn’t a current/former MPD member, they are a real stickler for details right down to using the correct phone extension for the old gang squad (“7406″).

I’ve been telling friends and family about this book. My mother is a fan of murder and detective stories, so she downloaded it for her Kindle today. As she skimmed through it, she found the “Glossary of Terms” and said, “boy, I never knew ‘bag of shit’ had a specific meaning!” I recommended she go through the glossary because “Nevin” relies heavily on MPD lingo.

Steve, your latest reveal of details suggests a Fed agent, however Retired MPD Detective Mike Simonis now lives in Minnesota and works for a federal law enforcement agency as a private contractor…what about him? Coincidence?

July 12, 2011 at 1:15 am

23. Brett Huston

I got it. It was Blondie, I saw him rousting some gangbangers just the other day…

July 12, 2011 at 2:03 am

24. Left Coast Larry

These posts have been great reading. Brett Huston, you stud, I love you for thinking I wrote it. I think I was working on the west side of the river in District 5 the night Karl Lotharius was killed in the fall of 1981. Lotharius made a dying declaration that his “boyfriend’ was the shooter and named his boyfriend by nickname, but the DA refused to issue the murder charge. I also worked the Gang Squad as a cop and detective for over 6 years; however I am not the author. I write children’s books; writing an adult “who dunit” is way past my literary writing level. The Cozen Protocol was a great read and brought back some fond memories of stuff that was going on throughout my years on the job, as the author spun a great mystery with similarities to real incidents. Kudos to Mitchell Nevin for a job well done.

I’m just a lonely fed these days, working out here in the Great Northwest trying to snap up “Bad Boyz.” Look forward to seeing some of you guys when I come back to Milwaukee next month to park cars during State Fair.

Brett, I retired the outfit. All the batteries in the sportcoat and pants corroded and I can’t find replacements.

Peace – out.

July 12, 2011 at 2:40 am

25. Huston

Thanks for the easy letdown, Larry. OK, outside the box…

What about former Sheriff Bob Kliesmet? Is he still kicking? He was here since the 60’s, and was obviously with “Milwaukee law enforcement”, other than MPD. He organized the Milwaukee Police Protective League way back when and I heard he was even MPA president at one point, so he’s very pro-union…

He’s authored a few books, including papers with George Kelling. All those seem to be academic or managerial, so maybe that’s why he’s using a pseudonym.

July 12, 2011 at 6:06 am

26. Number5Early89

I’m thinking old school. The name John Luckey comes to mind. John lived Number 5 for a long time. Few could tell a story better. John once showed up at South Division during a communiity forum when all the Dahmer crap was going on. Got quoted in the media. Absolutely loved the guy. He could have written the book.

July 12, 2011 at 11:41 pm

27. Brett H

I hate to be the one to spoil the “buzz” going on, but I already jumped in with both feet on guessing Larry, so I was compelled to actually spend some time and try to get it right. I was going to mail some equipment in care of “Mitchell Nevin”, then look up the GPS track, and that brought up some interesting addresses…

I got the e-book two days ago and started reading it. I started skipping ahead, and enjoyed the fact that even squad numbers and old phone extensions were correct. Somebody who worked in the old gang squad clearly put those details in. The author knows South Side gangs and the old gang squad well.

However, there are some even older Bureau details in the book. That suggests a contribution by someone old school. I had help on that, but that Detective doesn’t want credit.

I heard about this book a while ago, but was too busy and apparently too cheap to spend the $3 bucks on Amazon to download it and commence to readin’. Now that I’ve started reading it, I’m digging it. If you haven’t gotten it, get it, you can’t go wrong.

Good job, Howie.

Now I can stop Googling, “Who the hell is Mitchell Nevin?” every couple hours. I think.

July 13, 2011 at 11:10 pm

28. Brett H

I withdraw my speculation. “Mitchell Nevin”, you’ve dodged the bullet again.

July 13, 2011 at 11:58 pm

29. Brett H

Mitchell Nevin – I just did some deep thinking about who knew what and when they knew it, and I know the street address of your current employment, particularly the street name. You can come forward on your own if you choose, or I can speculate. Let me know if you don’t want me to speculate, but you know that there were some Detective’s in a certain village last year looking to do a DNA thing.

July 14, 2011 at 12:14 am

30. Brett H

I can’t win for losing. I’m depressed. I give up. I’m broken. Thanks a lot, Mitchell Nevin.

July 14, 2011 at 12:33 am

31. John Belsha

Brett, I submitted Howie to Spinny in the beginning of this mystery. Hah! I beat you! But it appears that I was also wrong on that one. I have revealed to Spinny who I suspect as the author of the book. We’ll keep it secret a while longer to complete the investigation and see if my hunch is correct. Stay tuned.

July 14, 2011 at 12:48 am

32. Steve Spingola

Come on, fellas. Would someone who authored a book incognito then have one of their known friends do a YouTube advertisement for them? Why not simply hire someone, like the homeless guy with the great voice in Columbus, for example? No one could make a connection then.

July 14, 2011 at 12:50 am

33. Boots

Once all of you find out the true identity of the author, you will scratch your heads and smile.

July 15, 2011 at 2:59 am

34. Lisa

My guess on some of the book’s characters is….Capt. Mike Enters = Stenzel, Attorney Leo Staver = Marty Kohler, radio show talker Jack Plankinton = Mark Belling, PIO Will Oglive = Lindsey.

July 16, 2011 at 3:49 pm

35. Jon Osowski

The author was associated or a member of the Intelligence Division Gang Crimes Unit 2004-2008. Not to many grinders under the unit during Clarke’s tenure.

Spoon

July 16, 2011 at 10:22 pm

36. Steve Spingola

I had a contact with John Luckey a few days ago. He is not the author of The Cozen Protocol.

July 18, 2011 at 10:17 pm

37. Kurt

The Cozen Protocol makes ATF look pretty good. Dave Larowski (I think I spelled his name right) is a retired ATF agent. He worked with a group of detectives from the department. He was cynical and didn’t care for Milw. PD brass.

July 20, 2011 at 6:08 pm

38. Rudy B.

What is HER name ?!

July 21, 2011 at 5:11 pm

39. Otis

The Common Council President in the Cozen Protocol is named Terrance Williams. He sounds a lot like Willie Hines. The mayor in the book rarely is mentioned. When the priest gets whacked it is made known that the mayor is Catholic and has to brief Rome. The mayor in the book seems to do as much as the real life mayor.

July 22, 2011 at 11:08 am

40. Greg T.

Just finished reading it! It is my belief Nevin is still on the job roaming the 3rd floor of the PAB. The plot was very good. The older bureau stuff brought back some good memories.

July 27, 2011 at 6:27 pm

41. Sid

The book features a female homicide detective. The only long serving female homicide detecitve is Kathy Hein. The character doesn’t seem like a good fit for her. The television reporter reminds me of the blond that used to work for Channel 6.

July 27, 2011 at 10:39 pm

42. Troy

I got this thing totally figured out. The author of The Cozen Protocol is CB, who works in CIB days. Charlie is tight with leftcoastlarry. Larry is close to Mike G. Mike is hooked up with Spin. CB has been on the job since Jonah exited the whales mouth. He knows all the old school incidents. Plus Mike G. Is buds with Howie who did the YouTube audio. Good time Charlie, I gotcha.

July 30, 2011 at 1:24 am

43. Dino

The word going around about this book is what got me to this good site. First of all the Cozen Protocol is really a shit hot book. I could care less who the real author is. To me it’s figuring out who the characters really are that is the challenge.

July 30, 2011 at 7:02 pm

44. Sparky

I bought the Cozen Protocol last night. On vacation I was sure I could knock it out in a week. I heard others talking about the book on the job. But I wasn’t sure the book was all it’s been made out to be. I’ll tell you I stayed up to 4:15 in the morning paging thru it. I’m in the middle of chapter 33 now. Outstanding book! I’m going to finish this thing over the weekend.

August 5, 2011 at 8:30 pm

45. Billy Idol

Okay, I got a favorite line in the book. “That case has bit more people in the ass than a rabid dog in a Chinese prison.” Sounds alot lke something Durfee would say after a few. Seriously the barbershop hit was part of a RICO deal run out of the old gang squad. I remember it. The police UC had to leave the department after it was all said and done for safety reasons. A hunch tells me one of those guys involved in the author.

August 17, 2011 at 6:30 pm

46. BH

I like to be positive and go all in with guesses, but I can’t back this one up with much. How about retired Detective James GAUGER?

I heard someone say that GAUGER said he had written a book at one time, but I haven’t been able to find it anywhere. I mentioned him to a couple old timers, and they said this book seemed consistent with his style. Other than that, I got nothing. Anything else about him that rings a bell with anyone?

October 3, 2011 at 1:27 am

47. Pingback: Spingola Files » Time to Take the Gloves Off: JS’s Anti-MPD Bias Requires Addressing

48. Pingback: Spingola Files » The Wonderful World of Book Publishing